Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

> Your Present: A Sour Asshole
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 2 2018, 07:21 PM
>quote
Resident
118 posts Today at 11:12 am
N/A years she/her

"I shit you not, they call their money 'currency' around here." Tyler unconsciously patted her back pocket for the shape of her wallet. "I got lucky and woke up with a working bank card. Anything else you'll have to take to a bank to convert it."

She led the way through the crowd with the practiced walk of someone used to moving through malls as quickly as possible. It wasn't too far to the food court, a large, glass-domed atrium lined on the side with food places that were almost but not quite the usual food court staples.

"Take your pick. If it looks like something you recognize, it probably tastes about the same."

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood modlady.
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
Character Tracker/Plotter
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 3 2018, 01:28 PM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17
N/A years They/them/their

Lexa rummaged through her pockets as she walked, letting Tyler carve the way. Her wallet, complete with one hundred pounds and a debit card, remained untouched, as did her 3DS case. Whether the card or the DS actually worked was another question, but hey, silver linings.

"Take your pick. If it looks like something you recognize, it probably tastes about the same."

Lexa returned her belongings to her pockets and looked around, rubbing her tired eyes. While the names were unfamiliar, she recognised the usual gamut of fast food places, complete with absurdly long lines. Off to one side, a smaller chicken place had a much more meagre queue, though it didn't look like the cleanest place. Two middle-aged men manned the counter, both on their phone at opposite ends of the shop.

Well, nothing like a bit of antisocial behaviour to bring the flavour out.

"Dean's SFC," Lexa said, pointing. "Quick, basic, cheap. Perfect."

--------------------
----------user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
-------------------------------------------------user posted image
>pm
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 9 2018, 08:01 PM
>quote
Resident
N/A years she/her

"Sounds good." Now that she thought about it, when was the last time she'd had something to eat? Tyler had been so busy that she'd lost track. Man, she was going to be so happy to have a proper kitchen again...

She walked up to the counter, looking to see if there was any sort of self-serve kiosk... apparently not. Maybe that was why the lines were shorter here? Whatever the case, there was still enough of a line to have time to look at the menu.

"I'm just gonna get a big bucket of chicken, I think." She glanced back at Lexa, who was digging in her pockets. "Like I said, I'll cover, but if you'd rather buy your own extras I won't stop you."

Hm, original or extra-crispy... I wonder if it's going to be as greasy as the stuff back home...

--------------------
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 07:05 PM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17

"Dunno if money works," said Lexa. "Taking inventory, checking shit, y'know."

There was only one person in front, so Lexa took a quick glance at the menu. Chicken did sound good, but it'd grease up her fingers something fierce, and it was never fun to go from that to playing the DS.

"Double cheeseburger meal with, uh...knock-off Tango," she said, looking uncertainly at the drink selection. "Comes with chips, fries, whatever. Both good."

As the person in front took their exit, one of the chicken shop men nodded to Tyler. "Y'alright? Dean's SFC here for ya chicken needs. What can I get ya?"

Lexa repeated her order, and he dutifully typed it in the till. Once Tyler reported on her own, he followed it up with, "Yeah, be about five, six minutes? Chill there for a sec, alright alright?"

Lexa took a quick look behind her, but it seemed most mall shoppers preferred the franchised fast food options. Well, whatever. Worked for her.

"So," she said, "figure you ain't feeding me for no reason. Something to say? Need a favour? Got some magic asshole you need killing?"

--------------------
>pm
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 19 2018, 08:42 PM
>quote
Resident
N/A years she/her

True to her word, Tyler ended up ordering a bucket of chicken... although a rather small one.

Original, if it mattered. And some ginger ale. With that ordered, and the receipt in her hand, she stepped back to let the next person through while the man behind the counter began frying a burger.

"Something to say, mostly. I don't want to send you out into the City completely clueless, especially since I've had some time to pick up basics." Tyler put her hands into her pockets, fidgeting with her house key (and how weird was having that). "Things like how things drop loot like in an RPG, or how the moon is some kind of evil depression laser."

She paused, partially to wait to see what Alexa's reaction to that last bit would be. The way she acted, probably not spectacularly.

--------------------
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 19 2018, 09:14 PM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17

Lexa raised an eyebrow as she followed Tyler to the side. "Break that down. Loot like RPG? Like, stats and shit? Random chance?"

She paused. "Moon thing even weirder. Magic bullshit again. D'ya think I'd break it? Might be fun. Could sign up as full-time moon cop."

She looked out into the mall, frowning. "Young for a job like that. Sixteen. You're older, I guess. Handy. Less likely to die."

--------------------
>pm
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 21 2018, 09:16 PM
>quote
Resident
N/A years she/her

"I don't know about stats, but that robot my friend punched? Literally dropped a box of money after he beat it. Showed it to a cop and she didn't even seem to realize it was money unless one of us picked it up."

She still had some of that money - the hotel she'd taken it to pay for had cost far less than she'd expected. "Doesn't help much if you didn't wake up with robot-smashing powers, but getting enough money to live is about as easy around here."

The smell of chicken and sizzling beef was starting to get to Tyler. Damnit, now she was actually hungry, instead of just using peckishness as an excuse to entrap a teenager. "Hell, you could probably walk up to a police station and they'd give you an internship if you asked."

--------------------
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 21 2018, 09:25 PM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17

Not long after, one of the chicken shop men finished boxing the food and put it in a white plastic bag. "Ey, here you are."

Lexa zipped over and picked it up, mumbling a "Thanks," under her breath. After a quick look across the tables, she headed over for the most isolated, gesturing for Tyler to follow.

"No protagonist, but maybe," Lexa said. "For police thing. Pay the bills, wouldn't do much. Just look at people. Screw over magic. Sounds good."

She dumped the bag onto the table and retrieved her own meal, barely taking the time to sit before wolfing it down.

"Hey," she said, taking a small pause to drink and talk. "You said about moon earlier. Depression laser thing. Explain."

--------------------
>pm
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 08:07 PM
>quote
Resident
N/A years she/her

"To be honest, I'm not entirely sure on the moon. There's just... something wrong about it?"

She looked up at the ceiling - it was still a bright grey sky outside, but she still remembered the first time she looked up on a clear night. "It's the only thing up there - no stars to speak of. It doesn't look anything like the moon I'm used to. And... well... there's something about the light that just makes you think about the worst things in your life."

Tyler was used to negative thinking - she'd courted that particular devil all her life, until it might as well have been an old friend. Coming to the City had quieted that voice, but under moonlight, it was... well, it was liking coming home to a stranger in her head, sometimes...

She shook her head, snapping herself out of her reverie and staring down at her own food. "A-Anyway. Yeah. Best to stay to lit places at night. Indoors is even better."

--------------------
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 24 2018, 03:10 AM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17

By the time Tyler stopped staring at the ceiling, Lexa had already finished devouring her food, sighing as she continued sipping her drink.

"Already think about worst, no change there," she said bluntly. "Still, will keep in mind. Don't like being out at night, anyway. Prefer sleeping."

She leaned back in her seat. "Anything else? Sun gonna burn me alive? Ozone fucked? Zombies?"

--------------------
>pm
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jan 29 2018, 10:45 AM
>quote
Resident
N/A years she/her

"Wizards, robots, moon... I think that's about it."

Tyler took the opportunity to go at her chicken with a fork and knife. A taste test of one proved to taste... well, like fried chicken. Well, what else was she expecting? She worked her way through part of a leg before something else came to mind.

She talked about "casters" like they're a real thing...

"Also, if you run into other people around here, there's... uh, some weirdness there too. I don't think we're all from the same place."

Munch, munch, swallow. "For example, where I come from, magic doesn't exist."

--------------------
Tyler | Dipole | Wolgan
>pm
^
Soulwithlife
 Posted: Jan 29 2018, 08:06 PM
>quote
Resident
Rise from the ashes
118 posts 12/20/17

Lexa continued on her drink, raising an eyebrow. "Count yourself lucky. Here, home, everywhere—magic fucks shit up. Least I can shut 'em down now. Wish it wasn't also magic, but whatever."

She looked out at the others sitting in the food court, chatting and eating like they didn't have a care in the world. Were they from other worlds, too? And if they were, how could they get used to things just like that? Was it really that easy?

And still no sign of a protagonist. Shit.

"Thanks for the food," she said, finishing her drink. "Get rich, will pay you back. Till then, gonna find main character. Keep eyes open, should be fine."

Lexa got up from her seat, gave Tyler a weak wave, and set off on her way. Time to get this show on the road.

--------------------
>pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D
Tranquil v.1 Skin © Chakka 2008 // For Support Visit Here