> Déjà Vu
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 10 2018, 03:41 PM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

"U-Well, uh…!" Shin'ichi tensed ever so slightly. "I'm six years old… Uh, but, to be honest—" he looked back down at the paper, "—this isn't my first time filling out a witness statement… And my friends at school are all pretty good at filling these out too, so, it can't be that weird, right…?"

…Oh! That was right. The kids…

The last thing he remembered, he'd been walking home from school with them… and then… nothing.

He couldn't even remember walking away from them. Which meant it was very possible that, whenever he'd been taken, they'd been just as prime targets too.

His blood ran cold.

Shin'ichi began filling the form quicker. "Can you find child services on that map? We need to get to that Sgt Martin person right away…!"
>pm
^
Raelyn Sentinal
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 07:39 AM
>quote
Resident
Resident cat-girl
676 posts 06/15/17
19 years Female

Lupa stared at Conan for a few moments. Other kids from his world could do these sorts of things? Was... Was he from some weird anime world or something, not like Edd or herself. It was really weird to her to see someone like this, so small and cute, be able to do something like this.

She broke the stare and looked back at the map. She scanned it over several times. "Oh.. There." Lupa points to a spot on the map, it wasn't too far away but it wasn't particularly close as well.
>pm
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 10:17 AM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

"I'm almost done… I think…" A few more scritches, and Shin'ichi slid from his slightly-too-high chair onto the ground, collecting the fax paper into a neat bundle.

"Okay. We'd better take this form directly to Sgt Martin," he said, standing on his tip-toes to get a better look at where Lupa was pointing. "It's better than waiting to make him pull it out of his inbox. Come on."

And off he confidently walked through the hall, settling into the vaguely familiar environment that was a station. While he was much more used to the size of the Tokyo Met headquarters, it was still vaguely pleasant to walk around an office, through desks and filing cabinets and house-plants. Even the piles of paperwork felt rather inviting.

(Paperwork wasn't usually his area, but he had to respect the poor blokes who had to do it. If anything in law enforcement could be labelled 'grunt work', it was paperwork; an unglamorous, machinated tedium, but ever so vital for identifying repeat offenders or re-investigating old cases.)

There was, however, a distinct lack of bustling activity compared to the Met. The officer count sounded pretty low for the building's scale so it shouldn't have surprised him, but considering the area it was situated, he kind of expected more business through the doors.

Of course, a large, clunky robot suddenly slid through the office on a rail, putting a fine end to all that comfort. Of course, the building was manned. It just wasn't all that much manned by… well, man.

"Hey, do you remember which door it was?" Conan asked Lupa.
>pm
^
Raelyn Sentinal
 Posted: Jan 19 2018, 12:09 PM
>quote
Resident
Resident cat-girl
676 posts 06/15/17
19 years Female

Lupa walked along the hallway. "Yeah, I remember where it is." She said confidently. It should have his name on the door, right? Its not like it's gonna be particularly hard to find things in the City. Lupa's tail twitched.

She glanced at a few of the doors. "Ah, here should be the place." She knocked on the door and once she was given the go ahead to go in, she opened the door and would let Conan go in before her.
>pm
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 20 2018, 11:39 AM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

Shin'ichi took Lupa up on her offer, and walk into what was a cramped little, single-desk office. There was only just enough room for three chairs, two wooden and one office, in which sat a man in his apparent late forties to early fifties, with a large freckled nose and weathered skin. The plaque on his desk, placed in front of a lightly-packed inbox, was inscribed with something Shin'ichi read as Sgt Trevor Martin.

Definitely not Tokyo, then.

"Yes, yes, come in," said Sgt Martin in a quiet, somewhat growly voice, in an accent Shin'ichi didn't understand. At least it sounded natural.

"Oh, hello there, lad!" he remarked, looking down into Shin'ichi's eyes. "What's your name?"

"Conan, sir," Shin'ichi said, eyes darting down.

"Hm…?" The man smiled when he realised. "Ah, you must be wonderin' if I'm a robot too, yeah?" Shin'ichi nodded. "Rhoda must've given you half a fright, huh? The receptionist. Lovely girl is she once you get used to her, but it's a little unnervin' the first time you notice."

"And you, miss, would be the boy's carer, maybe?"
>pm
^
Raelyn Sentinal
 Posted: Jan 20 2018, 12:44 PM
>quote
Resident
Resident cat-girl
676 posts 06/15/17
19 years Female

"Oh, no. I'm not... Well I wouldn't trust me with a kid." Lupa raised her hands and shook her head. "I found him on the street completely lost, so I brought him here. We're both from out of the City so... Er..."

Lupa looked around the room nervously. "Thought it would be best, better than letting the kid roam around on his own and..." Lupa wasn't going to finish that sentence. The cop could probably figure out where it was heading.
>pm
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 21 2018, 10:10 AM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

"Ah. Would explain Rhoda's message." He turned the boxy old monitor on his desk towards them, displaying a screen that Shin'ichi could mistake for a particularly vibrant version of MS-DOS if he squinted.

CODE
>> martin >> referral >> lost boy >> resident resident

And another line, at which Shin'ichi frowned:

CODE
>> nice boy

"We don't get many children comin' to the City, you see," Sgt Martin explained. "Let alone on their lonesome." He took another look at Shin'ichi, and saw the roll of fax paper. "Ah, that the form she tried to give you? Lemme take a look at that, okay?"

He held out a hand. Shin'ichi gave him the paper, and Martin unfurled it like he'd seen this sort of thing before only a few times. His eyes scanned the paper.

"I've helped with an adult case before, but it's all still a bit Greek to me," he remarked—or something to that effect, anyway, as Shin'ichi couldn't really be sure anymore. "S'quite a busy little sheet, too. Did your lady friend here help you out with it?"

"No, uncle," Shin'ichi replied dutifully. "I did it all by myself!"

"Hmm. Interestin' to know." He looked up at Lupa. "Would you mind tellin' me your version of events?"
>pm
^
Raelyn Sentinal
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 04:01 AM
>quote
Resident
Resident cat-girl
676 posts 06/15/17
19 years Female

"Huh? Well, I found him running on the street in a panic and the nights can get rather dangerous so I brought him here." Lupa said, hoping that these were what the sergeant had wanted her to explain. "It's not much to tell. He ran out of an alleyway and I called out to him, then brought him here. After asking about his parents and the like."
>pm
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 04:02 PM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

Sgt Martin nodded and grunted as he matched the statement with the form, and Shin'ichi blinked at the strangeness of the inconsistency.

Well, why, if the police (and therefore government) robot was so advanced that it—or she—could produce facial expressions and concern, couldn't it recognise the word "Japan", but Sgt Martin, clearly of European descent and with no reason to have to learn, could read kana?

Until part of the form folded over, and the paper turned out to be covered in, not kana, but foreign moji instead. And yet, he could still read it, and further yet, it was definitely what he had written. It was even his handwriting. Had he just imagined he was writing kana, out of being used to it?

But that didn't explain how he knew this other Language—

"Hey, Conan—" Shin'ichi shook himself and stood to attention, "—I understand this whole situation is probably quite frightenin' for you. You're in a strange place all on your own, and you don't know anybody here. And as I've mentioned you're much younger than the usual lot. Especially to wake up where you did, and in the light of the Moon, it can't've been easy for you."

In the light of the Moon?

"But I'm afraid that you're goin' to have to be in a frightenin' situation for just a little longer. At your age, we can't just let you go on your own, you know, and there's nowhere here in the station for children to stay overnight. Lucky for you, though, there's a daycare just a couple of streets from here. I'll call ahead, arrange you some board for the evening while we seek more permanent shelter. I'll even let you talk to the lady over the phone. Is that okay with you, Conan?"

"But what about—" Shin'ichi started, but Sgt Martin continued to dial.
>pm
^
Raelyn Sentinal
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 04:21 PM
>quote
Resident
Resident cat-girl
676 posts 06/15/17
19 years Female

Lupa scrunched her face for a moment as she thought this through. The kid was protesting... Possibly about the whole... Alternate world thing. And the cop surely wasn't listening to an actually rather smart kid for his age, who... For the most part knew his way around the law in some way... Why was this very, very vaguely familiar to her...

Sure she had seen a lot of kids, lots of smart ones and lots of dumb ones. But this kid was much, much smarter than them. 300 years. Lupa bit her lip for a moment as she thought, really thinking it over in her head.

Lupa then casually shrugged, her tail wagging to the side. It really would be best to let the police do their job. "I guess I'll be leaving Conan with you?" She asked, promptly interrupting the dialing on the phone.
>pm
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 04:44 AM
>quote
Resident
54 posts 12/26/17
24 years ???
UK Offline

Sgt Martin paused. "Ah, certainly, if it's alright with you. I can take it from here."

He then completed the number and put the phone to his ear. "…Yes, hello, this is Sgt Trevor Martin at the Toytown District Police Station. I've got a boy here, age six, who needs some place to stay for a few days. Could I trouble you for yer services?"

Shin'ichi looked between Lupa and Sgt Martin with a certain amount of helplessness. Not that he trusted Lupa more than the police on this matter, but his pride was starting to kick in. It wouldn't be strange to complain about going to a daycare, but it would be strange to argue against it effectively, but it would be equally strange to just stand there and do nothing, but it would feel strange to have to argue about this, and it would be just as strange for him to willingly agree to this, because he was seventeen and seventeen-year-olds didn't go to daycares

"—Excellent. I'll send a droid over with the boy in an hour. We'll see how the first day goes, yes? …Yes. Okay. Thank you."

The phone went down on the hook, and Sgt Martin turned back to Lupa. "Yes, don't worry too much about it. It's a nice place; used to take my nephews there." He gave Shin'ichi a pat on the back, knocking him out of his thoughts for a second. "Conan'll be a-okay."
>pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D
Tranquil v.1 Skin © Chakka 2008 // For Support Visit Here